Coming to theaters everywhere, Monsanto….
Well, why not, we’ve seen it before when the John Travolta movie called A Civil Action told the story of the legal system protecting the citizens of Woburn, Massachusetts from the conglomerate Beatrice dumping toxins in the waterbed and causing a medical tragedy for the local residents. We’ve also seen it in the movie Erin Brockovich when Pacific Gas & Electric were dumping cancer-causing chemical matter into unlined wastewater ponds that spread throughout the water supply and affected the residents in those areas.
How did these stories start? Deny, deflect and deny.
And how did these stories end? With a smart and diligent attorney fighting a big business with substantial resources but winning on the facts.
So, coming to Theatres, Monsanto.
Here are some eye openers according to a New York Times article from earlier this year pertaining to their product “Round Up” and one of its ingredients, glyphosate:
- Monsanto had research ghostwritten and provided to the (Environmental Protection Agency (“EPA”) as academia, this coming from internal email communications.
- The EPA had worked to quash a review, to be conducted by the United States Department of Health and Human Services….is there collusion?
- Files unsealed in a pending case show that nearly two years ago, a branch of the World Health Organization, the International Agency for Research on Cancer determined that glyphosate was a probable carcinogen.
- Additional records indicate that Monsanto was tipped off by a senior level EPA official about the determination of the International Agency for Research on Cancer; the Monsanto action, advance a public relations attack in advance of the findings.
- The EPA official also made representations that he could be back a review of the Department of Health and Human Services and further. “If I can kill this, I should get a medal”, the EPA official is reported to have commented in an internal Monsanto email thread.
Other actions taken by Monsanto include rebuffing any findings that glyphosate is a carcinogen, making the claim that any writings supporting the carcinogenetic capabilities of glyphosate are taken out of context and denying that they supported or engaged in any ghostwriting. The last being an inconvenient denial given that in some of the recently unsealed documents, a senior executive at Monsanto was quoted, “We would be keeping the cost down by us doing the writing and they would just edit & sign their names so to speak”…. Otherwise known as ghostwriting.
So, where all this goes remains to be seen but the behavior of Monsanto sure is right out of the big company playbook for what to do when you’ve done something bad.
Worse yet, while the bad actors in the movie references above did cause harm through the misuse of chemicals and impaired geographic regions, Round Up is shipped all over the world. The math could be devastating.
If you’ve been a regular user of the Round-Up product and fear that you may have developed cancer because of it, get to a doctor. Then, make the call to the Maguire Law Firm. We are experienced in dealing with matters of product liability and we can and will fight for you to get the compensation you deserve.